- South Africa has one of the worst Wealth Gaps in the world – Gini Coefficient of 0.70 (OECD 2013)
- Almost 80% of the population (42.4 million) resides in economically marginalised communities (townships and rural areas) (StatsSA, 2005)
- 75% of SA’s workforce is semiskilled and low-skilled (StatsSA, 2014)
- The official unemployment rate is 25% (StatsSA, 2014)
- 97% of the people in townships have access to a mobile instrument (Kreutzer 2009)
A marginalized community is a group that’s confined to the lower or peripheral edge of the society. Such a group is denied involvement in mainstream economic, political, cultural and social activities.